Thursday, July 5, 2012

Heat Rising Chicago 1: Za'atar BBQ

Heat Rising in Chicago.  What's a girl to do if this is the cool of the evening?


"It's too damn hot
  It's too damn hot.

I'd like to sup with my baby tonight
And fill the cup with my baby tonight
I'd like to sup with my baby tonight,
Fill the cup with my baby tonight
But I'm not up to my baby tonight 
'Cause it's too damn hot..."


 The 54th St Zebras dancing to Cole Porter's
"It's too damn hot."


Thank you.




And now, we'll have a drink.



Created for you, tonight:
Fred's Gin and Tonic with Grapefruit Bitters.
YES!



Just the thing for a day like this.



What we ate with the Gin and tonic:



Za'atar BBQ Chicken.



Yep, pour olive oil over the chicken, add Za'atar, mix it up and let it marinate.  Overnight is best.



I used chicken thighs.  We charred them on both sides, then moved them away from the center, closed the lid for about 12-15 minutes,  turning once in awhile, and they were perfect.  A less hot fire would have allowed them to stay in the center.
 

No need to baste.
Next time:  a bit of Yogurt in the marinade to help tenderize.


Za'atar BBQ Onions and Zuchinni.
Almost the same as above:  mix olive oil and za'aar.  Smear it on the Onions, Zucchini or whatever.  I put these on the grill at the same time as the chicken.  I did move them around as needed during their 15 minutes or so.  Actually, a lot of moving around went on.


Next time:  I'll use a BBQ basket, as we lost several onions through the grill.   PS I did spoon what was left in the dish over the vegetables as a baste.



Arugula and Pink Grapefruit Salad
Yes, perfect. With lime juice, lime zest and olive oil.
(I bought that wonderful jar of grapefruit sections..... can't beat them...._) 




No comments:

Post a Comment